Norfolk County Council holds special events at some of its recycling centres so people can dispose of household hazardous waste free of charge.
The next household hazardous waste days will take place at recycling centres across several weekends in September and October 2018. These include Mayton Wood Recycling Centre (Little Hautbois, Near Coltishall NR12 7JX) on 12–14 October (for the full list click HERE). Opening times are 9 am – 5 pm in September and 9 am – 4 pm in October.
Items accepted during household hazardous waste days include:
- aerosols – full or part-full
- car chemicals such as antifreeze
- fire extinguishers
- garden pesticides and fertilizers – both liquid and powder form
- household chemicals and cleansers – both liquid and powder form, e.g. carpet cleaner, furniture polish, old bottles of bleach, etc.
- paint – including water-based and solvent-based paint
- photographic chemicals
- wood preservatives, treatments and varnishes.
Items not accepted during household hazardous waste days include:
- ammunition, explosives or marine flares
- commercial (or business or trade) hazardous waste
- gas canisters (full or part-full)
- petrol, diesel or any other fuel.
What to expect when visiting household hazardous waste days and some tips for your visit:
- keep all products in their original containers
- make sure all products are properly sealed or bagged to avoid leakage when you transport them
- any empty or dried-out paint tins can be disposed of in your bin at home or scrap metal bins at recycling centres (if metal).
Norfolk County Council says: “These events are popular so there are likely to be queues when you visit the recycling centre. Please be patient with the recycling team and other site users. Typically, first thing it is very busy so we recommend coming later in the day.”